How do I choose a career?
This 3 hour career exploration workshop combines self assessments, group discussion and current expertise to help you find your amazing career! Janet will give you a kick start to investigating career possibilities, and help you zero in on your areas of interests.
We'll use hands-on activities and discussion to answer questions like:
What’s important to me, and why is it important to my career?
What’s my passion? How can I turn this into a career?
What if I don’t know what I want to do yet?
What if I have more than one idea?
What the session will look like:
1) Hands-on activities and discussion. Get to know yourself better and learn how to apply your values to help find a career you'll love.
2) How to find job descriptions and job outlooks for specific careers, including salary.
3) How to determine degrees required for your potential careers.
4) Tips on how to develop the top skills employers seek in almost all employees, regardless of career.
What you’ll leave with: Students will come away with a detailed interest profile, an individual action plan for follow-up activities, and several helpful resources. Students will learn the steps to career exploration, which they can then apply at various decision-making points in their lives.
This session is best suited to students in Grades 11 and 12, and first year university.
"Janet met with me to discuss the career I'm interested in, and even went as far as researching which courses I would need as prerequisites for the Master's degree I'm thinking about taking. It felt amazing to talk about such a stressful topic with someone who knows so much about universities!"
- Jessica, Grade 12 student